Facing heroin or any type of drug charges can be a frightening situation. Texas drug laws are notoriously harsh, and the highly addictive quality of heroin has caused it to be classified among the most dangerous of drugs. As a result, drug charges involving heroin are quite serious, can result in severe repercussions. No matter your situation, however, we are here to protect your rights and work toward minimizing any consequences of these criminal charges.
Heroin possession laws in Texas carry harsh penalties pursuant to the Texas Controlled Substances Act, as follows:
· Less than one gram of heroin is a state jail felony with up to two years in prison and a $2,000 fine.
· One to 3.99 grams is a third-degree felony with two to ten years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
· Four to 199 grams is a second-degree felony with two to 20 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
· 200-399 grams is a first-degree felony with five to 99 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
· 400 grams or more is an enhanced first-degree felony with ten to 99 years in prison and a $100,000 fine.
These figures represent the maximum penalties allowable under law, so actual punishments can fall on the lower end of the range, depending on the circumstances. However, keep in mind that these are only the penalties for possession of heroin. If there is evidence that you possessed heroin with intent to sell it, there can be separate and harsher penalties. Evidence of intent to sell can be possession of a very large amount of heroin and paraphernalia commonly using in selling drugs, such as baggies and scales.
At Peek & Toland, we are dedicated to protecting your rights and defending you from any potential criminal charges. We are here to investigate the facts surrounding your case, consider your options, and help you develop the strategy that is best designed to achieve a successful outcome in your case. Do not waste time attempting to handle legal matters on your own; contact our office as soon as you are charged with a criminal offense so that we can provide you with the help that we need.