Probation Violations in Texas

While being sentenced to community supervision, or probation, as a result of a criminal offense is certainly preferable to jail, the court still has a significant amount of control over your life. Depending on the terms and conditions of your probation, you typically must report to a probation officer on a regular basis, pay fees, complete a certain number of hours of community service, undergo drug or alcohol testing, and seek permission from your probation officer before leaving the state.

If your probation officer believes that you have violated any of the terms of your probation, then he or she can file a motion to revoke your probation. If you are on deferred adjudication probation, then he or she can file a motion to adjudicate. Regardless of what is called, the results are the same; a motion to revoke or a motion to adjudicate both will result in a warrant for your arrest. After your arrest on a probation revocation, you must appear before a judge within 48 hours. However, only the judge who issued the arrest warrant can set bail for you in a probation revocation.

Probation Violations in Texas

You also have the right to be represented by counsel at a court hearing to determine whether you violated a condition of your probation. This hearing is very important, because it will be your only chance to explain why you don’t believe that you have violated your probation. As a result, contacting an attorney as soon as you believe that you may become subject to a probation violation is crucial.

Some common probation violations may include:

·         Being charged with a new criminal offense while on probation

·         Failing a drug or alcohol test

·         Not reporting to your probation officer as scheduled

·         Failing to complete community service hours as ordered

When you are charged with any type of criminal offense in the state of Texas, including probation violations, you need an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent your interests from the very beginning of your case. We are here to evaluate the facts surrounding your case, present your options, and provide you with the strongest defense possible. Contact Peek & Toland at (512) 474-4445 today and set up an appointment to speak with our legal team.

Related Articles:

Posted in Drug Crimes, Uncategorized

How Can We Help You?

Our team is standing by to help. Call us at (512) 474-4445 or complete this form to send a message about your legal situation.