Steve Toland, Partner
St. Mary’s University School of Law, Juris Doctor
Mississippi College, Master of Science in Communications
Tulane University, Bachelor of Arts
UNAM Mexico City Certificate of Mexican Legal Studies
State Bar of Texas
- In re State, 65 S. W. 3d 383 (Tex.App.-Tyler Jan. 23, 2003).
- Texas Dept. of Transportation v. City of Sunset Valley, 92 S.W. 3d 540 (Tex.App-Austin 2002, no pet.).
- “Basic Concepts in American Tort Law” (In Spanish), Universidad de
Panamericana, Guadalajara, Mexico, 2002
- “Advanced Legal Drafting”, Austin, Texas 2003
- “Criminal Litigation Case Management”, Austin, Texas 2004
- “Managing Discovery-Why E-Discovery Can Give You the Edge in Your Next Case”, Austin, Texas 2008
- “Strategies for Legal Research on the Web-Locating Persons and Finding Background Information”, Austin, Texas 2008
- “Business Tort Update”, State Bar of Texas Litigation Update Institute, 2003
- Austin and Federal Bar Associations
- State Bar of Texas (Criminal Justice Section)
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Austin Kiwanis Club, Board of Directors (2001 to Present) and President (2004 to 2005)
- Austin Masonic Lodge Twelve, (2007 to Present)
- Bethany Lutheran Church, Elder (2007 to Present)
- Leadership Austin Emerge Program, Graduate (Fall 2007)
- Cast for Kids (2005 to Present)
Steve Toland’s Attorney Bio
Mr. Toland was born and raised in Harlingen, Texas. As a junior in high school, Mr. Toland was a state-ranked competitive tennis player, avid hunter and fisherman, and enjoyed frequent trips to San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Upon high school graduation, Mr. Toland attended Tulane University in New Orleans.At Tulane, Mr. Toland served as Vice-President of the Sigma Nu Fraternity and President of the Inter-fraternity Council, was inducted into the Kappa Delta Phi Honorary Society and worked as a sports radio broadcaster for the Tulane University baseball team. Mr. Toland received his Bachelor of Arts in History from Tulane University in 1994.
Continuing in sports broadcasting, Mr. Toland broadcast high school and college sporting events at one of the largest radio stations in the South while earning his Master of Science in Communications from Mississippi College in 1995. Upon graduation, Mr. Toland moved to Los Angeles where he continued to work in broadcasting and production. Between broadcasting assignments, Mr. Toland worked for one of Los Angeles’ premier entertainment law firms. It was there that Mr. Toland discovered his true passion for helping clients through the negotiation of creative solutions to their legal problems.
Mr. Toland attended St. Mary’s University School of Law in San Antonio, Texas. While at St. Mary’s Mr. Toland earned recognition on the Dean’s List, served as a tutor, captained the national semi-finalist Jessup International Moot Court team and was elected to the Phi Delta Phi Honorary Society. After his first year of law school, Mr. Toland attended the Institute for Mexican Legal Studies at the Universidad Panamericana in Mexico City, Mexico while clerking for a Mexico City law firm. After his second year of law school, Mr. Toland served as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Edward C. Prado, then United States District Judge for the Western District of Texas in San Antonio.
Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Toland served the State of Texas as an Assistant Attorney General in the Honors Program under then Texas Attorney General John Cornyn. During his years as an Assistant Attorney General, Mr. Toland tried multiple cases to verdict before both judge and jury. Many cases Mr. Toland tried on behalf of the State of Texas involved amounts in controversy of over a million dollars.
Mr. Toland left the Attorney General’s office to practice state and federal criminal defense exclusively, eventually forming the Toland Law Firm in 2007. In September of 2010 Mr. Toland teamed up with Jeff Peek to form the law firm of Peek & Toland .
Mr. Toland enjoys writing and speaking when afforded the opportunity. He has a published article entitled “Business Tort Update,” by the State Board of Texas Litigation Institute. Additionally, Mr. Toland has served as a featured presenter on the following: Basic Concepts in American Tort Law at the Universidad Panamericana in Guadalajara, Mexico; Discovery Tools for the Texas Paralegal in Austin, Texas; Advanced Legal Drafting for Texas Paralegals in Austin, Texas; Managing Discovery-Why E-Discovery Can Give You the Edge in Your Next Case, in Austin, Texas; and Strategies for Legal Research on the Web-Locating Persons and Finding Background Information in Austin, Texas.
Mr. Toland has the following two reported cases: In re State, 65 S.W.3d 383 (Tex.App-Tyler Jan. 23, 2002); Texas Dept. of Transp. V. City of Sunset Valley, 92 S.W.3d 540 (Tex.App-Austin 2002, no pet.).
Mr. Toland is licensed to practice in Texas and licensed in Federal Court in the Northern, Eastern and Southern Districts of Texas. Mr. Toland is a member of the following professional organizations: Austin Bar Association, American Bar Association, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, and Association of Trial Lawyers of America. In his spare time Mr. Toland serves the Austin community through the Austin Masonic Lodge 12, Austin Kiwanis Club and as a church elder at Bethany Lutheran Church.
Read Steve Toland’s Past Articles in the Peek & Toland Newsletter
- Criminal Defense: Consent Searches of Vehicles