religious workers

Religious Worker Visa Laws to Change

By Peek & Toland on September 2, 2019

Changes soon will go into effect for a unique visa program that allows religious workers to immigrate to the U.S. or adjust their status to obtain legal permanent residency. This is an employment-based, fourth-preference visa program that permits both ministers and non-ministers to enter the U.S. to perform full-time, paid religious work. The federal government historically has restricted the number of non-minister religious workers able to obtain visas under this program to 5,000 per fiscal year. However, the federal government has placed no such restrictions on ministers and their spouses. As of September 30, 2019, the non-minister program is scheduled to end altogether, following a final extension of the program that President Trump signed on February 15, 2019.

As a result of the expiration of this visa program, non-ministers who want to immigrate to the U.S. or seek a green card must do so before September 30, 2019. This sunset date also applies to spouses and children who accompany non-minister religious workers to the U.S. Ministers who hold these visas are not affected by this date.

Religious Worker Visa Laws to Change

Several different criteria affect which religious workers qualify for this program. For instance, workers must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Workers must have been a member of a bona fide religious group for at least two years before their applications and continuously be engaged in religious work as an adult
  • Bonafide religious groups must be non-profit organizations in the U.S. or organizations affiliated with religious denominations in the U.S.
  • All religious work in the U.S. must be full-time, averaging at least 35 hours per week, and paid
  • Workers can be employed in a professional or non-professional capacity

The immigration lawyers of Peek & Toland have handled the immigration cases of countless individuals and businesses facing immigration-related issues. We are here to protect your rights and advocate on your behalf to get the outcome that you are seeking. Call our office today at (512) 474-4445 to set up an appointment with our immigration attorneys.

Posted in Visas

Tagged with: ,

R Visas for Religious Workers

By Peek & Toland on August 16, 2017

Many people are unaware that religious workers can qualify for short-term R visas to work in the United States.

According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), an R-1 visa holder is a foreign national who arrives in the United States to be employed as a minister or in another religious vocation on a temporary basis. It’s a short-term visa. The religious workers who benefit from R visas must work at least 20 hours a week. They must be employed by:

  • A religious body or organization authorized by a group tax exemption holder to use its group tax exemption; or
  • A non-profit religious organization based her in the United States;
  • A non-profit religious organization that has an affiliation with a religious denomination in the United States.

r visas for religious workers

R visas benefit religious workers

R visas were set up under federal law in the Immigration and Nationality Act I.N.A. § 101(a). While many visas have quotas, there is no annual limit on the number of people who can receive these visas.

Key Features of R Visas

  • As a qualifying religious worker, you can work in the United States for the R sponsor. The worker’s sponsor files a visa petition with the immigration authorities.
  • You are not able to change jobs in the United States, even if you want to move to another religious job. You must get a new visa first.
  • It takes a considerable amount of time to issue an initial R-1 visa. Part of the process involves a site visit. However, premium processing is available to organizations if there has been a successful site visit in the previous five years.
  • The holder of an R visa can travel to and from the United States or stay continuously as long as his or her R visa stamp and status remain valid.
  • Your initial R visa will be granted for up to 30 months. However, R visa recipients have the ability to stay considerably longer. Extensions are available for up to five years. If you spend time outside the U.S. this does not count toward the maximum stay in the country. However, the R-1 worker must be able to prove the length of the absence.
  • A spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may be granted R-2 visas to accompany the primary visa holder, but they may not accept employment in the United States.
  • R-1 visas can be issued both to members of the clergy and to lay religious workers.

R-2 Visas for Family Members of R-1 Visa Holders

Spouses or unmarried children under 21 of R-1 visa holders may qualify for an R-2 visa to join the religious worker over the duration of his or her stay in the United States.

There is no cap on the number of annual visas issued under the R-2 category.

To obtain an R-1 visa, your parent or spouse has to be a qualifying religious worker who has been a member of a legitimate religious denomination for the previous two years.

Applying for visas requires mountains of paperwork and can be overwhelming. Our Austin visa attorneys can take the burden off your shoulders.  Call us at (512) 474-4445.

Posted in Visas

Tagged with:

How Can We Help You?

Our team is standing by to help. Call us at (512) 474-4445 or complete this form to send a message about your legal situation.